I was watching Frozen on DVD with a friend who had never sen it before and she actually asked some pretty good questions. The question basically was where do Elsa’s powers come from? After she mentioned that question I began to think. I began to think a lot and asking other questions and observations:
- Where do her powers come from?
- How old is that book in her fathers library that had information on the trolls?
- Why did he have said book in the first place?
- How did he know the book existed?
- Did he know that the trolls would be able to help or did he need the book to find out?
- Did he use the map that fell out of the book to find his way?
- He never picks up the map or is seen looking at it.
- If he didn’t look at it how did he know where to go?
- The king didn’t seem to taken aback by the trolls.
- If he has seen the trolls before when? And under what circumstance?
- How did the trolls know the king?
- The queen didn’t seem too surprised by the trolls either.
- How did her father know that the gloves would help?
- How can Elsa’s glove hold back her magic?
- Elsa’s gloves can hold back her magic, but everything else can’t. Not her shoes, her dress, nothing.
- Are her gloves magical?
- If they are magical who performed a spell on them? The trolls?
- The father said that being afraid and worried would only make things worse. How would he know that, unless he has had some experience with it.
- How long had that prison been there in the middle of the lake? Looks kind of old.
- That is really strange that that prison cell doesn’t have normal chains that just cover the wrists, but covers the whole hand.
- Who knew about the fact that the prison had a cell where the shackles covered the whole wrist?
- Were they the one that told Hans?
- If they did, I want to hear their story, they are probably old.Other random questions & thoughts
- When the servants would clean up after Elsa, wouldn’t they notice the random amounts of water and ice that were always around? After all we see her touching objects with her bare hands at times they immediately were covered with ice.
- If they were forbidden to clean up after Elsa didn’t they suspect anything? After all the palace had been locked up for a long time, since they were ages 3 &4.
- How can you keep a secret in the castle a secret that long? If we have learned anything from is that servants gossip.
- What about Elsa’s dress measurements? I know this sounds far fetched and out there since her powers can go through anything save her gloves how was she measured for her coronation dress? Coronation Day is a huge day for a monarch, they want to look their best.
After I started coming up with these questions, I immediately began come up with theories. I was excited. I believe her powers come from her fathers side. The reason why I believe this is because her father seemed more informed on Elsa’s powers than the mother did. We see the father knowing/having an idea as to what to do when Elsa accidentally strikes Anna in the head. The Father is the first one to run to a bookcase containing an old book that just happens to be in the family library with a map that could lead to the trolls that we see dropped to the floor that the father doesn’t even bother to look at before racing off. Not to mention that once the father gets there, the trolls recognize him, and say, “It’s the King.” That means the trolls have seen him before.
While I wouldn’t be surprised if Elsa’s powers showed up early on when she was a toddler, maybe even a baby, I believe they may have known the king far before that. I believe they have met the King numerous times, before he was King. After all he is the King of Arendelle.
If we are to go with traditional ways that a monarchy works a prince usually marries a princess. That princess will probably come to his land, his castle and once the father of her husband dies, they become King and Queen. With this assumption and the fact he knew this book existed in the library.
Her gloves can shield her magic, but the rest of her, shoes, dress cannot. I mean when she is wearing her famous blue dress we see her ice powers come from her chest which accidentally hits Anna as a result.
How can her gloves keep her powers at bay?I believe they are magical. We saw her father give them for her. He tells them thy shoud help. How would he know? Also where did he get them from? Part of me thinks he went back to the trolls to be the gloves, the other part of me believes they already existed within the family.
Even though throughout the movie there has been no indication as to either parent having special powers. T the father has more of an idea what to do with Elsa’s powers than the mother. Also to back track let us we consider the theory that Elsa and Anna’s mom is related to the father of Rpunzel (I prefer this theory over the other one because of these few infographs.)
For if the power come from Elsa an Anna’s mother it is possible powers would have probably shown up in Rapunzel. Remember Rapunzels healing powers came because her mother drank tea infused with the flower with that special power. (All I keep thinking now is flower power….) I wonder if King of Arendelle’s mother. If not the mother, than perhaps he had two sisters, one of them being Rapunzel’s mom and the other well something a little more tragic would have happened to her.
When it comes to which of his family members could have the ability I am torn. Part of me believes it could be just the mother. Another part of me believes it was both mother and a sister(who is no longer living). While another part of me thinks that it was just a sister. We forget that in royal families it was common to have a few children (not as many as those in the lower class) to create alliances.
If it was the mother (of the King of Arendelle) I like to go with the idea of the original story of The Snow Queen, that actually inspired this movie. The Snow Queen that we know from the original Hans Christian Anderson story, well if the mother just happened to have abilities, (and we know how tales and stories become exaggerated with each telling), I believe the story would be based off her, and not Elsa (yes I know they originally intended Elsa to be the villain from the beginning). It would be a little different, but before I continue let us go back to the beginning of Frozen. Remember the scene in the beginning as they have arrived in the area where all the trolls lived. When grandfather troll asks how did Elsa get the powers, “Born with the powers or cursed?” The King says “born and getting stronger.” Right here we can safely say that he has not brought Elsa to the trolls before now, but the fact he knew they could help is important. It is important to note that he doesn’t see Elsa’s powers as a curse. I like to think she was able to keep the powers a secret from the rest of the world and knew how to control them, as a result, the King learned from listening to her.
If there was more than one member in his family that had abilities I believe that it was the mother and maybe another sister. While I do know that him having another sister comes out of nowhere and I have no proof that he did have another sister. Let us assume that the mother had powers and could control them and one of her daughters too had powers. However the missing sister had a hard time controlling her powers. At first she was at ease with them, but as she got older she became afraid of them. She was scared of what she could do. I think eventually at one point, like Elsa accidentally struck Anna in the heart, this unknown mysterious sister struck either her mother, her father, or both of them. And we all known what happens when someone is struck in the heart.
I think as a result of one or both parents being struck by ice, one or both died. With this happening, there was only one thing that could be done. The sister was locked up, in the same cell where Elsa was locked up- covering her hands to prevent her powers from going out of control.
What happened to the sister, I couldn’t tell you. She could have been exiled into the mountains inspiring the very story of The Snow Queen. Or it could have taken a darker turn….you can imagine. This could have happened while the other sister
Even if the mother didn’t have ice powers, the theory with the mysterious sister could still be applicable. The father knew that worry and fear would only make it more difficult to control her powers. Being sacred of her own powers would only make things worse. He knew about that.
I wouldn’t be surprised if that book in the library was part of the research to try to help the sister out. Those gloves could have either belonged to the sister, the mother, or both (at one point).
Either way though, this incident would have had a lasting impact on both the future King of Arendelle and the future Queen of Corona. The King will be forever concerned over what could happen and he tries to prevent things from spiraling out of control. While the future Queen will feel loss the her child more strongly than normal, because she has no mother (and or father) there with her to show her support. This causing the brother (now King of Arendelle) to visit his sister whenever he can, causing little Anna and Elsa to feel the strength of isolation even more. Eventually visiting them once it is learned the Rapunzel has returned and is getting married. This causes them to go on a journey across the sea, only to die in the storm. Which in turn encourages Rapunzel and Eugene to visit Elsa and Anna for Elsa’s birthday and Coronation Day.
That is my theory. What are your thoughts on the matter?
Update as of (5/15/2014) A Reader asked me a question in regards to this post- check out my response here!