I began coming up with alternate endings for my favorite characters from TV shows every since I started watching Babylon 5. It was only when I began reading Harry Potter I heard a strange word around the internet, fanfiction. Once I discovered this concept, I thought it was beautiful and wonderful. I have been hooked since.
Over the years I have expanded what kind of fanfiction I read. It keeps growing every time I join a new fandom. I will post the fanfiction stories I like to read. This past year I joined tumblr (follow me) and well I have found so many more stories as a result.
Over the years I have also heard people laugh and make fun of the idea of fanfiction. I have heard many people criticize the concept, the people who write it, and the people who read it.
Arguements people who hate fanfiction use:
- Most of it is awful. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, plot, etc. It just all sucks.
- It’s not Canon.
- Some of it is really weird. Incest, gay, pedophile, polygamy. What is wrong with these people?
- They aren’t being creative. They are already writing about a world that already exists. Why can’t they write something original. They are almost stealing.
- They are wasting their time and they are weird. To quote someone from another site “Because it reeks of sheer, unbridled, deppressing geekyness. I hate hard-core fans in general and the day you write fan fiction, that’s the day you know you’ve become either a fanboy or a fangirl.” (Do not send hateful messages people, please be better than them)
To Address Each Statement:
- Yeah there is a lot of bad fanficiton out there. I know, I have read it. Guess what though, there are also a lot of bad books out there. Finding good fanfiction stories is harder than finding a good book in the store simply because it is easier to publish fanfiction than a book. Although how some books get published I don’t know. Like 50 Shades of Grey (and yes I know it originated as fanfiction)
- -Yes, they are using another persons world, but unless they are making money off of it, you can’t really complain. (50 Shades of Grey is so far the only exception I could find.)
-Also what is wrong with wanting to expand on that world. George Lucas allowed it, he had people publish Star Wars books for years and made money off of it.
-They could probably write something original, but maybe they are doing this for FUN!
Seriously though some people enjoy writing for fun and maybe they want to write about Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and even Twilight (hopefully they will do a better job than Stephenie Meyer and E.L. James cause Twilight and the Twilight rip off was just horrible). There is nothing wrong with them writing about it, they aren’t hurting anyone. And you don’t have to read it.
- I agree with some of this. I am against and don’t like reading fanfiction that encourages and glorifies pedophile and incest. I don’t like it and I find it weird myself. If things like this happened in real life these people would be told to seek help and or be arrested. But you have an issue with fanfiction with gay couples?
- I wanted to say how amazed and hurt I was by the last statement. Seriously what is wrong with being enthusiastic about something as long you are not hurting yourself and others? What about Math geeks? Science geeks? Are they depressing?”But that is different,” you will say, “there is something worthwhile in science, math, etc.” You are right there is, at the same time though for some people, they enjoy reading stories about one world. For them it is worthwhile. They want to explore that world like archaeologists explore civilizations. To you it may be obsessed but there are worse obsessions out there to have and they aren’t hurting you.Why this hate towards people who are carefree, enthusiastic, and enjoy life? Is it because you are unable to do this yourself? We usually hate that which we cannot understand. Do you have trouble being carefree and enthusiastic?Honestly though how rude, inconsiderate, and unkind of you sir. You don’t know every single person that reads and or writes fanfiction. You appear to be very judgmental and unhappy individual if yourself.
Why I love Fanfiction:
- I love stories.
- I love reading.
- I love the ideas people come up with.
- I can deny that a character has died. Like Dobby and Fred Weasley.
- If I am upset that a character ended up in a relationship with another I can just go to fanfiction and tada! They are in a better relationship. I will post more about ships and my OTP’s later.
- Despite all the bad ones, I have found some real gems and I enjoy them.
- I love the different back stories given to some of my favorite characters.People are being creative and they are writing. It may be terrible, but at least they are writing!
- The Story never has to end, I can read the original story and go back and save my favorite fanfiction.
How did you find out about fanfiction? When did you start reading it? What kind of Fanfiction do you read? Let me know in the comments below!