The week where you regret every time that you have procrastinated, where you wish you had a week off before exams, and you just don’t care anymore. Yep, it’s Finals Week. Are you ready?
For me I have 3 essays, a portfolio, and a presentation to do for my classes. Even though a majority of them are not exams, they are still stressful and this is what I usually do for exams.
Here are some of the things I am doing (and usually do) to prepare for Finals Week:
- Map Out Everything I have to Finish for Finals Week. I made a calendar on Microsoft Publisher and than I just did a screenshot of it from the print preview area, because I don’t know Photoshop and all those other fancy software programs. I color coordinated my exams, essays, etc by class. If you need to break it down more I would recommend it, I made this for my desktop display so that way every time I turn on my computer and what I need to do is right there in front of me.
- Map Out Each day of Finals Week. For me I like to plan by hour, 15 minute intervals. Seriously my planner usually looks like some kid got a bunch of highlighters and colorful pens and had a field day. I also color coordinate by class as well, it makes it easier.This time around finals I have become more detailed with my schedule than I usually do, so I am curious to see how this goes. This is the planner I carry with me everywhere, rarely does it leave my side. I highly recommend you get a planner if you haven’t already, seriously how have you survived?
- I have coffee and tea ready. I love tea in general and although I am not a big fan of coffee, I have coffee creamers that make it tasty for me. The tea will provide me comfort during times when I feel like I am going to cry.
- Try not to Panic. No matter how much I have or have not studied, freaking out now won’t help me need focus. I know this won’t be easy, I deal with anxiety on a daily basis, for me I pray. But if there are other methods that help you use those methods. Whether you meditate, watch bad reality TV, go for a run, or just write. Whatever you do, help yourself calm down and relax.
- Get lots of Sleep. Every time I hear the term finals, I automatically imagine myself losing sleep during that week. Well I can’t do that. The brain really does need sleep in order for the body to function. Not to mention it is just good for your health. Now whether or not I get enough sleep is another thing in itself. I will try my best to get some sleep though.
- I need to not procrastinate! I am very bad at this and I am usually struggling with this aspect since I enjoyed reading my own books and writing my own stories versus actually working on my assignments. I just get bored after a while and the internet is a lot more fun than my essay on Jane Austen I need to write.
- Remind myself that I can only do so much. I am not perfect, things will happen. I will have moment where I need a break and other things will happen to distract me. And that’s okay, I can’t be perfect and I am not supposed to be. I can’t study 24/7, I can’t make up for lost time, but I can do my best. That is all that matters.
I hope I do well on my presentations, essays, and portfolio I have to turn in. Well I should go back and work on that.
To everyone approaching their Finals Week. Good Luck!